Matcha yokan (抹茶 羊羹) is one of the most popular Japanese desserts. It is made of a mixture of matcha green tea, white or red bean paste (anko) and sugar. We really love this dessert, it is so sweet and elegant! In this recipe, we will show you how you can make your own matcha green tea jelly yokan dessert at home like in Japan.
In this recipe, we will use our other shiroan recipe, a sweet white bean paste but you can also use the anko red bean paste.
The advantage of shiroan is that its neutral color will allow to have a green yokan, the one of matcha. If you use anko, it will be dark red color.
Matcha yokan recipe
- 1 mould 16.5 cm x 7 cm x 5.5 cm approximately
- 300 g shiroan sweetened white bean paste
- 15 g sugar
- 5 g matcha powder
- 5 g agar-agar
- 250 ml water
- Mix the matcha powder and sugar in a small bowl.
- Gradually add the white bean paste and mix well.
- Put the water and agar powder in a saucepan, bring to a boil and leave on medium heat for about 2 minutes. Meanwhile, continue mixing the matcha and white bean paste.
- Once the mixture is homogeneous, pour it into the hot water.
- Stir well and make sure the mixture dissolves.
- Once dissolved, pour it into a mold that you have wet well beforehand. Wait for the mixture to cool and then leave it in the refrigerator for about 2 hours to harden.
- Take it out of the pan, cut it into pieces and serve it on a plate. You can then cut it in various ways according to your desires of presentation.
Homemade yokan is of course better than the ones sold in stores. Depending on the season, you can see some with sakura during spring, with chestnut in autumn or with sweet potato! The yokan is eaten cold with green tea.
thanks oziu !