Here is our recipe for a Japanese strawberry cake which is called Shortcake “Ichigo no shotokeki” イチゴのショートケーキ which is much creamier and less sweet than the French version. It’s a simple recipe that still requires a little time to make about 40 min to 1 hour but it will be perfect for a birthday, Valentine’s Day, Mother’s Day or Christmas.
For the anecdote, the strawberry is a winter fruit in Japan that’s why this strawberry is found in dessert at Christmas in Japan. Moreover, it is one of the favorite fruits of Japanese people! Let’s go for the recipe!
Japanese strawberry shortcake recipe
- A food processor or an electric whisk
- A mold of 18 cm
- Pastry bags and sockets
For the cake:
- 80 g flour
- 1/2 tsp yeast
- 3 eggs
- 80 g white sugar
- 20 g butter
- 100 ml water
- 50 g sugar
- 300 g strawberries
- 30 cl full cream or full liquid cream. To put 20 min in the freezer to cool it.
- 30 g white sugar
Preparation of the cookie
- Preheat your oven to 160 degrees and butter your pan.
- Sift and mix the flour and yeast. Melt the butter in a double boiler or in the microwave. Break your eggs into a food processor and beat them with an electric mixer, adding the white sugar little by little for 2 to 3 minutes. You will obtain a smooth and foamy paste.
- Stir in half the flour and mix gently with a marysee. Add the other half and mix again. The flour is incorporated into your dough.
- Then add your melted butter and mix gently.
- Bake your cookie for 30 minutes, keeping an eye on it.
Preparation of the whipped cream and strawberries
- Meanwhile, prepare your whipped cream. Put ice cubes in a bowl and then put another bowl on top and whip your cream inside by putting your powdered sugar and cream. The colder your products, the faster your cream will rise. Beat with an electric whisk and set aside in a cool place.
- Prepare your strawberries by washing and hulling them. Reserve 8 strawberries for decoration and cut the rest into rounds or lengthwise.
- When your cake is cooked, remove it from the oven and from its mould. Let it cool and then cut it in 2 in the thickness. You get 2 discs.
- Add 6 tablespoons of whipped cream on top and arrange your cut strawberries. Then add another 4 tablespoons of whipped cream on top and cover with the second cookie. Cover your cake with the remaining whipped cream and decorate with a piping bag of whipped cream and cut strawberries.
- Put in a cool place to stabilize the cream.
Our tips for making a good Japanese strawberry cake:
- For the whipped cream to rise well, place all your products in the fridge, the bowl, the whisk, the cream 20 minutes in the freezer… The powdered sugar will make it shiny.
- Prepare this cake in advance to stabilize the cream in the fridge.
- If you get a very high sponge cake you can cut it in 3.
- It goes very well with tea, coffee… It is a light and airy cake!
- You can also use it with matcha in the shortcake.