How about making a Japanese matcha pancake cake recipe for a change? A Japanese cake called “mille crêpes” ミルクレープケーキ. As you might expect this cake is made with alternating pancakes and whipped cream, in this case with matcha!
The utensils for the recipe matcha mille crepes
A crepe maker or a frying pan
You will need a crepe maker, we use the one from Krampouz which allows you to make large thin crepes. You can also use a classic frying pan, or a party frying pan to make mini mille crêpes.
An electric mixer
To make whipped cream, you will need an electric mixer. A little tip: put your utensils, bowls and cream in the freezer before whipping. Your whipped cream will rise quickly!
A long spatula or an angled spatula (optional)
The long spatula will allow you to spread your cream evenly between each pancake. It will also allow you to finish your cake. However, if you don’t have one you can use a large spoon.
A pastry bag (optional)
To finish your cake presentation you will need a piping bag. This accessory is optional, you can simply sprinkle matcha on your cake with a strainer
Like all Japanese desserts, this cake is creamy, light and delicious!
Matcha mille crêpes cake recipe
- 1 electric mixer
- 1 crepe maker or frying pan
- 1 long spatula
- 1 circle or round plate
For the crepes
- 3 eggs
- 250 g of flour
- 1 pinch of salt
- 50 cl of milk
- 3 tbsp of sugar
- 2 tbsp of oil
- butter for cooking
- 2 tbsp of matcha green tea powder
For the cream
- 40 cl of full cream
- powdered sugar
- a little salt
- 2 tsp of matcha for dusting
Preparation of the crepes
- In a medium bowl, beat the eggs into an omelet with a fork. In a large bowl, pour in the flour, matcha and salt. Mix and make a hole in the center to add half the milk. Mix again.
- Then add the eggs, sugar, oil and the rest of the milk. Mix with a whisk to obtain a fluid paste without lumps.Put the butter on a preheated pan and remove the excess with a sheet of paper towel. Reuse the paper towel between each crepe. Pour a ladleful of crepe batter. Spread the batter evenly by tilting the pan to coat the entire surface. As soon as the edges come away, flip the pancake to cook the other side.Repeat the operation until no more batter is left. Let your crepes cool.
Prepare the whipped cream
- In a bowl, using an electric whisk (maximum power), beat the whipped cream until it rises. Add salt and powdered sugar while beating, your cream will become thicker and shinier.
Prepare the mille crêpes matcha
- Start with one pancake and then spread a layer of cream. Repeat until you reach your last crepe.
- Place a plate or circle on top and trim the edges.
- If you have some cream left, you can coat the mille crêpe with cream and sprinkle with matcha. This cake can be kept in a cool place. Enjoy!