Yakiniku (“grilled meat”) sauce is a very popular sauce in Japan for meat dishes and for the japanese barbecue. It also goes very well with vegetables, rice or fish. Here is our recipe for yakiniku sauce which is quick and easy to make.
Japanese recipe yakiniku sauce
- 1/4 apple Fuji or Pink Lady
- 3 tbsp shoyu soy sauce
- 2 tbsp of sweet sake
- 2 tbsp of honey
- 1 tbsp sesame oil
- 2 tsp ginger puree It must be grated very finely. If not, you can use powdered ginger
- 1 clove of garlic
- 1 tbsp white sesame seeds
- Peel the apple, remove the seeds and grate it.
- Also grate the ginger and garlic clove.
- Combine all ingredients in a saucepan and heat over low heat for 5 minutes, stirring with a spatula. Remove from heat and place in a bowl. Add the sesame seeds. Ready to use!
Tips and tricks for yakiniku sauce recipe
Enjoy the sauce with a good red meat, ideally cooked on a barbecue.
Instead of honey, you can also substitute white or brown sugar.
For the grating we use a porcelain grater for garlic and ginger. Very practical, it allows to make a paste easily mixable in the sauce
We use it in our karaage (japanese chicken fritters) recipe and our naporitan (japanese spaghetti) recipe. A very practical utensil!
In this recipe, we use an apple, you can take sweet varieties like Fuji or Pink Lady. Otherwise, you can use a sweet pear or apple juice.
If you want a slightly spicy sauce, I suggest you add 2 tablespoons of Gochuchang, a delicious Korean chili paste!
We also use it in our recipe for spicy chirashi with salmon and avocado and our spicy chicken karaage fritters recipe.
Slightly spicy, it spices up the dishes and is a delight!