Discover these elegant Japanese tazuna sushi! In addition to being visually beautiful, these sushi are light, seaweed free, healthy and easy to make at home. The tazuna sushi will be a sensation at meals with friends or at parties.
The utensils to make tazuna sushi
To make tanuza sushi, you will need transparent stretch film. As this sushi does not use seaweed, the transparent film will be used to hold the sushi in place japanese rice.
In this recipe, we use an omelette, and for that we use our tamagoyaki pan to have a square shape to cut them easily. However, a round shape is also possible.
A makisu, a sushi mat is also recommended. The makisu will allow the tanuza sushi to be rolled up well and to keep its rolled up shape for a while.
A mandolin will be a big plus to be able to finely cut the cucumber. Otherwise, try to cut very thinly with a knife.
You will have to cook your Japanese rice for sushi, we advise you to follow these articles and recipes how to cook sushi rice? and the japanese rice recipe sumeshi with vinegar.
Tanuza sushi recipe
- 1 makisu sushi mat
- 1 transparent plastic film
- 1 mandolin
- 5 wooden picks
- 1 portion of already cooked vinegared Japanese rice see our recipe for sumeshi vinegared Japanese rice
- 5 big shrimp
- 1 cucumber
- 1 pinch of salt
- 1 tsp of rice vinegar
For the omelette
- 2 eggs
- 1 tsp white sugar
- 1 tsp potato or corn starch
- 1 pinch of salt
- Take your portion of already cooked vinegared Japanese rice and place it on a transparent cling film and your makisu. Spread the rice out widthwise, then using the makisu wrap the rice in the cling film. Tighten well. Set aside your "sausage" of rice rolled in the cling film.
- Cut your cucumber into thin slices with a mandolin and then cut the slices in half. Then add a little salt and rice vinegar. Keep your cucumber strips aside.PS: The strips measure about 3 to 5 cm long depending on the size of your rice roll.
- Skewer the shrimp with wooden skewers, boil until they are straight. Peel the shrimp and cut them in 2. Set aside on paper towels.
- For the omelet, mix well the ingredients, eggs, salt, starch and sugar. On your frying pan, cook your omelette on a low heat, it must remain yellow. Let it cool down and cut it in the same size as your cucumber.
Preparation of tazuna sushi
- Place a long piece of cling film on the makisu. Place the shrimp, cucumber and omelet on the makisu, overlapping slightly.
- Place your rice roll on top, removing the cling film from around the rice.
- Wrap it with the makisu and tighten firmly.
- The cling film will surround your sushi roll, on the sides make twists to tighten the whole.
- Wait 5 to 10 minutes before cutting into bite-size pieces.
Tips for the Japanese tanuza sushi recipe
You can vary the ingredients to your liking. Choose salmon, tuna, sea bream, bring some color! As an accompaniment, we suggest a good miso soup, you can make it quickly with our miso soup express recipe.
If you have a lot of guests, don’t hesitate to make our chirashi sushi presented in a beautiful hangiri.
If you have some ingredients left, don’t hesitate to make temari sushi, they are round suishi without seaweed easily made with transparent film.
If you want other ideas of original sushi, read our article on 7 unusual sushi to discover
Don’t hesitate to give us your opinions and impressions in comments! If you have any suggestions, don’t hesitate! Have a good tasting