Make a delicious Japanese egg sandwich, called tamago sando たまごサンド in Japanese! These sandwiches are very popular in combini (Japanese convenience stores) and are often consumed for breakfast or small hunger!
Its popularity comes from the ultra soft texture of the sandwich bread and its mixture of eggs with japanese mayonnaise Kewpie.
What ingredients should you choose to make the Japanese egg sandwich recipe?
The sandwich bread
You will have to choose a thick and very soft sandwich bread. Personally, we use the Jacquet brand, 14 maxi slices.
You can also choose a brioche bread, in this case you should not add sugar in the preparation.
Ideally, the best is to make yourself this Japanese bread, called shokupan ! It will be for a next recipe!
The Kewpie mayonnaise
We suggest you to use Kewpie mayonnaise, a Japanese mayonnaise much lighter than ours.
Otherwise, use mild or very light mayonnaise.
Fresh and organic eggs
Choose fresh and organic eggs because we will cook them soft-boiled, a little longer than a boiled egg and a little less than a hard-boiled egg.
Japanese recipe tamago sando, egg sandwich
- 1 pan
- Transparent food paper
- 2 soft, thick slices of bread
- 1 egg
- 5 g of salted butter
- 1 pinch of sugar
- 1 pinch salt and pepper
- 1 tbsp of Kewpie mayonnaise
- 1 tsp of milk
Cooking of the egg and its preparation
- Prepare a bowl of very cold water.Bring water to a boil in a saucepan. Place your egg in a soup spoon and drop it gently into the boiling water. Cook for 7 minutes if you took your egg out of the fridge, otherwise 6 minutes 30 sec if it did not come out of the fridge.
- Take it out of the water and immediately put it back into cold water. Break the shell slightly in the water.
- Wait 10 minutes in the water before scaling.
- Cut your egg in half and remove the yolk.
- Finely chop the whites with a knife.
- Put the yolks in a bowl and mash them with a fork. Add sugar, salt and pepper, mayonnaise and milk.
- Mix well until evenly blended.
Preparation of the Japanese sandwich
- Lay out some transparent cling film on your work surface. Put your sandwich loaves on it and apply butter. Then place your egg mixture in the center on a piece of bread and leave a margin of about 1 cm on the sides. Feel free to make a small mountain.
- Place the other piece of bread on top, then wrap tightly with cling film and place in refrigerator for 20 minutes.
- Remove your cling film, cut the crusts with a knife, and cut them in 2. Ready!
Tips for the egg sandwich recipe, tamago sando
- You can add a little parsley in the preparation of the eggs.
- You can also add a drop of shoyu soy sauce soy sauce, it’s delicious.
- If you want to add some crunch, add some green salad or cucumber slices.
Don’t throw away the crusts of the bread, use them as croutons for your salads for example. Otherwise, use bread without crust.
The different cuts of the Japanese egg sandwich tamago sando
1- As we have seen in the article, you can simply cut them in two, they will have a rectangular shape.
2- You can also cut them in 2 diagonally, you get 2 triangles like in combini. This is the shape of the most common and widespread sandwiches.
3- There is also another way to present them:
- 1- Lay your sandwich bread flat, then cut it crosswise.
- 2- You will obtain 4 mini sandwiches to present!
4- You can also, with the help of japanese chopstick you can also use a Japanese chopstick to press the 4 sides of the sandwich very hard to make a “pocket”. Your filling will not be able to escape. This technique can be found on Japanese peanut butter sandwiches.
And if you want other ideas of Japanese snacks, we recommend our detailed recipe for onigiri (small rice-based snack) or our recipe for onigirazu, a large onigiri surrounded by nori seaweed.