Did you know that tofu is an ingredient used in both sweet and savory dishes in Japanese cuisine? Here we use silken tofu to obtain beautiful and tender chicken meatballs coated with a delicious sauce.
We recommend you to eat them with japanese white rice or noodles.
Japanese recipe for chicken and tofu meatballs
- 1 mixer
- 1 Large saucepan
- 200 g chicken
- 60 g of silken tofu
- 2 tbsp of potato starch or cornstarch
- 1 tsp of sake
- 1 tsp of shoyu soy sauce
- 1/2 tsp grated pureed ginger
- 1/2 tsp of salt
- 30 ml of water
- 2 tbsp of shoyu soy sauce
- 2 tbsp of sugar
- 1 tbsp of oyster sauce
- 1 tbsp of honey
- 1 tsp of potato starch
- sesame seeds
- some chives
- Cut your chicken into pieces. Then in a blender, add the diced chicken, silken tofu, cornstarch, soy sauce, sake, grated ginger and salt.
- Mix until you have a paste
- In a large saucepan, heat water over medium heat. Using teaspoons, ice cream scoops or your hands, form balls. Then cook them in the water of the pan for about ten minutes on medium-high heat.It all depends on the size of your meatballs, the bigger they are, the longer you have to leave them in the pan.
- Using a skimmer, arrange your meatballs on a plate.
- In a bowl, mix together the ingredients for the meatball sauce. In a pan heated to low-medium heat, place your meatballs and then the sauce.
- The sauce will thicken.
- Gently coat your dumplings with the sauce, using a spatula.
- It's ready ! You can add sesame seeds and chives on top.
Tips and tricks for the Japanese chicken tofu dumpling recipe
- Chicken and tofu dumplings are ideal for bento and for quick and healthy meals.
- You can serve these dumplings alone, as an appetizer for example.
- With Japanese rice and stir-fried vegetables for a healthy and varied meal.
- If your dumplings are too “soft”, use less tofu.
- If you wish you can add vegetables such as onions, shiitake mushrooms shiitake mushrooms, carrots, lotus roots…