Ichigo daifuku are very popular Japanese pastries in Japan that are part of the family of mochi. These soft and greedy pastries are a real delight with the strawberry inside. Here is a quick and easy recipe, you only need a microwave to prepare the dough in only 3 minutes!
Ingredients and utensils
You will need glutinous rice flour, which is easily found in Asian grocery stores. Sweetened red bean paste anko sweetened red bean paste. You can also find it easily in Asian grocery stores or you can make it yourself using our anko recipe.
Here we added matcha (green tea) in the dough but it is optional. You will also need potato starch or cornstarch to work the dough .
Ichigo daifuku recipe
- 200 g anko
- 100 g glutinous rice flour
- 60 g sugar
- 1 tsp salt
- 150 ml water
- Potato starch or cornstarch
- 8 whole strawberries washed and stemmed
- 1 tsp matcha powder
- Divide the anko dough into 8 balls and set aside in the refrigerator.
- In a microwave-safe bowl, add the sticky flour, sugar, salt, matcha and water and mix.
- Heat in microwave for 2 minutes at 600 watts.
- Take out your bowl and mix with a spatula.
- Heat in microwave at 600 watts for 1 minute. You will obtain a transparent paste, mix it with your spatula.
- Sprinkle your work surface with potato starch or cornstarch. Place your dough on top and divide it into 8 balls. Flatten a piece of dough and incorporate a spoonful of anko that you have also stretched. Place a whole strawberry in the center. Fold the edges to form a ball.
- You can either leave the strawberry sticking out or put it all in.
- Remove the excess starch and it's ready!
Tips and tricks
Ichigo daifuku is best eaten cold with green tea. It can easily be frozen. Be careful when you take the dough out of your microwave because it will be very hot, but don’t wait too long to work with it because it is better to handle it warm. Feel free to vary this recipe by replacing the strawberry with other ingredients such as chestnut cream, baked red beans, ice cream, lemon or even a sweet plum inside… Treat yourself!